09 June 2008

Keep an Emergency Fund to Cover Credit Card Expenses

I spoke before about how the dentist suddenly charged me $240. He normally charges me $60 but all of a sudden that went up because he x-rayed my mouth. Dentistry I believe is very important. When I was young I had very poor teeth. Perhaps it was my fault because I didn't brush my teeth often enough and because I loved sweets. My parents also didn't send me to the dentist as much as I would have liked. In fact, I never went to the dentist until major problems developed. I try not to blame my parents for everything wrong with me, but I just wish that they knew that prevention is better than cure. What went wrong with my teeth? Two giant teeth was growing out from my gums and it looked like I had vampire fangs. I remember at school I never wanted to smile around anyone because I knew how horrible my teeth looked. Not only were my teeth really crooked but because I didn't brush or floss much my gums was receding and it looked like I had really big teeth.

After I went to see the dentist, things got better. The dentist did some major orthodontic work at a cost of $3000. The work took about 5 years. All in all, I'm very happy with what my dentist did. My teeth now are much better. They aren't perfect. I still have to wear plates at night, but compared to how they were in the past I believe there has been some major improvements. I'm no longer afraid to smile in public and I find that I am a lot happier, which I think makes me more sociable. For a long time how I have been aiming to floss at least once a week. When I went to the dentist I asked him if this was enough and he said no. I needed to floss once per day. Nowadays I try to floss at least 30 minutes per week, which is approximately equivalent to once per day. My teeth still look big and I was told that no amount of flossing will repair it. Once it is gone it is gone. However, by flossing and brushing often I can delay gum decay. It is normal for gums to recede as I age.

A week ago I got my credit card bill and I expected it to be about $300 but it turned out to be $430. I didn't have that much in my bank account so now I have to wait one whole week for the next payday before I can pay off this credit card debt. I am annoyed because the credit card I use has a very strange system of reporting debt. It seems as if they deliberately put you in the dark and make everything so confusing so that you don't pay on time and subsequently you are charged interest. I use the Coles Group Source Mastercard. What is good about this credit card is that it is free. I don't have to pay any annual fee. I also get a fairly long interest-free period. The problem is that it's difficult to get information on what is happening.

This negative experience I had with credit card is not going to make me cut up my credit card. Rather, I will keep myself safer by now keeping at least $500 in my bank's savings account just in case the credit card bill is higher than I anticipated. I still think having a credit card is good because it allows you to delay spending, which means you can extract more interest.

No comments: