12 January 2014

Specsavers Extrathin vs Ultrathin lenses


A word of warning about Specsavers. I went in to a Specsavers and told them that I had extras cover with a private health fund and so I heard rumours that I could be able to get glasses with nothing to pay out of pocket because the health fund would pay for everything. The salesperson there told me that this is true but only for standard lenses. If I wanted thin lenses then I would need to pay some money out of pocket. There are different grades of thinness according to the Specsavers phamplet (above). I told told to get the "super thin and light" but I asked further about whether there was much different between "super thin and light" and "extra thin and light." The salesperson showed me samples of the two and based on me touching and feeling them, there wasn't much difference at all, so I opted for the cheaper option. In hindsight I probably could have opted for the $60 "thinner aspheric lenses." Next time I get glasses from Specsavers I will ask about whether I can touch and feel the "thinner aspheric lenses" to see if they are too heavy or not.

Bottom line is, the salesperson may try to upsell you to get you to spend more. Keep asking to touch and feel samples of the cheaper options to see if there really is any noticeable difference. If not, opt for the cheaper option. If you push the price down enough, you may be in a position where the health fund covers everything and you will not be out of pocket at all (or by much).

Also be aware that in order for you to be better off with a health fund, the premiums you pay need to be less than the amount you take out of the health fund. You should do an annual review of cashflow to see whether or not you are better off with the health fund or not.

No comments: