10 January 2014

Overcoming Shyness when Speaking

I noticed something about myself when I was speaking to the optician today. I am nervous, I don't make eye contact, I stutter here and there, and I am very polite. I say thank you all the time. This may be something I need to correct because too much politeness may signal weakness, and when you signal weakness to others, you will be exploited.

From now on, when talking to others, I will focus on taking my time to speak and not modifying my tone. I will just speak plainly and directly. When speaking plainly and directly, I will need to think about what I am talking about. Many people criticize me for taking too long to think when responding. If this happens again, I should respond by saying that how long I take to respond is my choice and that they should not try to force me to alter how long I take to respond to someone. I will invite them to try to force me if they wish, but there will be consequences.

No comments: