07 January 2014

Sony Xperia Z - 10 Months After

I've had the Sony Xperia Z for about ten months now, so it's time I give an update on this phone.

First I'll start with the good points. I still think the Xperia Z is a beautiful phone with a unique design. It is a phone that I feel good carrying around because of its beauty. It is slim and lightweight, meaning that it fits in the pocket and doesn't bulge out. Even though viewing angles are not as great compared to other phones, the full HD display coupled with Sony's proprietary Mobile Bravia Engine produces excellent, vivid pictures, especially on colourful images of landscapes. Often I would take a picture of amazing scenery, send it to my friends, and they'd be amazed at how much better the same image looked on the Xperia Z.

Another good point about the Xperia Z is its speed. Even though, when it came out, it used the slightly older Snapdragon S4 Pro chip rather than the Snapdragon 600 found in the Galaxy S4, the phone seems to not be bogged down too much and feels smooth and snappy. It's not really the speed of the CPU that I am concerned about. Rather, I prefer consistency. The Xperia Z is consistently good whereas, for example, the Nexus 7 (2012 edition), which uses the Tegra 3 chip, has moments when it is fast, moments when it is slow, and moments when it is frozen.



Onto the bad points, and there are a few now that I've had time to play around with phone for ten months.

Camera

The main issue I have with this phone is the camera. It is a 13MP camera that takes decent phones. It suffers in low light, but all smartphone camera suffer in low light, so that's not a major issue. My main issue is that the Sony camera app takes too long to load. When I talk around, see something I want to take a phone of, I take out the Xperia Z and swipe left from the lockscreen to go to the camera. The phone takes on average about five seconds to fully activate the camera. Phones that have fast cameras include the Nexus 5 and the iPhone 5S. Fast access to the camera is a necessity.

Another issue I have with the camera relates to dust particles. After using the Xperia Z for a while, I have noticed dust particles on the lens. The dust is inside the lens, so I cannot wipe the lens with a cloth to fix it. A Google search reveals that the Xperia Z dust particle issue is not a one-off, but a systematic issue with the phone itself.

Battery

The battery life on the Xperia Z is too short. They have definitely fixed this on the Xperia Z1 by providing 3000 mAh, but the 2300 mAh on the Xperia Z is not enough. Even with power saving features, this phone often runs out of energy in the afternoon. I tend to use phones more than the average person, so perhaps the 2300 mAh is not good enough for me. For the person who using the phone occasionally, the battery capacity is fine.


No comments: