21 July 2012

Recreation conformism

When you take a break from work (e.g. if you take a few weeks of annual leave or do something over the weekend) there is usually a set formula for what you should do. Young people are supposed to do something with their girlfriends or boyfriends. Older people should do something with their spouses, preferably go on a holiday to an exotic destination.

I don't do any of that. I am in my late twenties and I spent my free time doing things that are quite different to what most people do. For example, during my free time I like to read novels, write, or even do my tax return or spend time with family. Some people think there is something wrong with me, that I should be out with my girlfriend, but I don't have a girlfriend and automatically people think there is something wrong with me and that I should get one.

For a long time I have gone along with it, trying to please others by attempting to do normal things, but all of a sudden I have realized that I don't have to. I don't have to conform and no one can make me. I have to learn how to stand up for myself and tell other people that they cannot tell me what to do.

No comments: