24 July 2012

Holidaying Cheaper than Staying at Home?

I have started taking two weeks off from work. In a bid to save money, I have decided not to go on holidays. Rather, I will just stay at home. However, I am quickly finding that staying in Australia can be quite expensive and that perhaps a trip to Asia might have been cheaper.

I have only just started my two-week holiday, but already I have been invited by other people to eat out and watch movies. Watching a movie in Australia sets you back about $20. Eating out can vary between $15 to $30. I remember during one day I ate out during lunch and dinner and then watched a movie afterwards. I spent $70 that day.

Return tickets for flights from Australia to a country like Thailand or Cambodia can be purchased for around $500 to $800. The cost of living e.g. in Cambodia is significantly lower. Meals are only around $5 and you can sleep at a guest house for $10 a night. Of course, it all depends on what you do. I am starting to think that if I go to Asia, rent a cheap hotel, and then do what I normally do during a holiday (i.e. surf the Internet) then it might be cheaper to go to Asia.

Another benefit of going to Asia is that I can detach myself from my family and friends at home. When you take a holiday, you are looking not only for a change in scenery but also to get away from your annoying friends and family for a few weeks. I really ought to consider this next time.

No comments: