27 March 2010

Towards 120 - Lowering Blood Pressure

I've been keeping some statistics on my blood pressure and my weight. I have my own blood pressure measuring machine that I purchased online. Here are the data so far:


Normal blood pressure is 120/80 (systolic blood pressure is the top number and diastolic blood pressure is the bottom number. My systolic blood pressure seems to average around 135 and can fluctuate to highs of even 155! Obvioulsy I am concerned about this, and I have to do something to try to get my systolic blood pressure back down towards 120.

I have noticed that blood pressure really fluctuates. For example, after you have done exercise or eaten, there is a good chance your blood pressure is high. However, in the morning when your tummy is empty and you are feeling relaxed, blood pressure seems to decrease.

Here is what I plan to do to lower my blood pressure:
  1. Light strength training - I have been reading articles online that say that although strength training can increase blood pressure, if you keep it low intensity with high reps, it should reduce blood pressure in the long run.
  2. Increase aerobic exercise
  3. Eat healthy food
  4. Reduce sodium (salt) intake
  5. Reduce alcohol intake
  6. Reduce caffeine intake
References:
10 ways to control high blood pressure without medication (Mayo Clinic)

No comments: