14 August 2011

University Not Worth It?



The video above questions the common wisdom that you will get ahead if you go to university. Going to university normally leaves the student will massive debts that need to be paid off upon graduation, and going ot university simply does not guarantee that your pay will even be much better than that of someone who never went to university.

I have spent a long time in university, completely believing the common wisdom that you must go to university and that only losers became construction workers, plumbers, or carpenters. My parents would look down upon these tradies, commenting that they are uneducated people who got where they are because they lack university education. But after graduation I found myself with a fairly average job that the typical university graduate would get, but look over at the tradies and they are earning big bucks (see cashed up bogans).

I don't see anything wrong with going to university to get knowledge for its own sake, but if that is what you want then going to an expensive and elite university is not necessary as you can effectively get the same knowledge in libraries or even online. The university degree not only gives you the knowledge but it also gives the piece of paper that brands you, and that piece of paper is used by the graduate to secure himself or herself a better job. University was and is mainly a snob tool.

Even if I were in high school again and thought about what I wanted to do for a living, I would probably still go to university mainly because I don't think I'd be a good plumber, but young people out there ought to think twice before going to university. It may not be worth it.



No comments: