23 May 2009

Coffee at Work

In a previous blog post titled Frugality at Work, I claimed that being frugal made it difficult for me to behave normally at work. I have discussed this idea with friends, family, and strangers, and I have taken steps to address the issue.

I have noticed that many people at work bring their own lunch. The economic recession may the reason for this. There are some people who always eat out, and in order to still have lunch with them I normally eat my meal either before going out with them or after. When I go out to lunch with then I usually only drink a cup of coffee, usually a latte or a flat white (even though the two are quite similar). A cup of coffee costs about $2.80 to $3.00 per cup, increases my concentration, and provides lots of antioxidants. Normally my friends pay about $10 or $15 for a full meal, so I do save quite a lot of money by only drinking coffee. I prefer to just have a coffee at a cafe or restaurant instead of bringing my own lunch. The reason is because many restaurants or cafes actually do not allow you to bring in outside food.

Sometimes I wonder whether paying $2.80 per coffee is a good deal. You can easily make your own cup of coffee with your own machine or even just make instant coffee, and the overall cost is probably a few cents per cup. Nevertheless, I understand that I am paying not really for the coffee itself but for the atmosphere, the warmth, the environment, etc. It's also a great way to socialize rather than just staying at your desk and eating all by yourself. Walking to the restaurant or cafe gives you exercise and fresh air as well.

No comments: