11 April 2009

Stocks Going Up?

After so many months of dismal stock performance, it looks as if things are getting better. March this year saw the All Ordinaries rise by about 17 per cent or so. Some say it's the bottom while others say it's a false dawn. Nevertheless, my net worth has increased to about $45,000. I have been receiving dividend payments into my bank account. All up I receive on average about $160 per month in dividends, which is about $5 per day. I think this is enough money to feed myself if I ever lose my job.

Losing my job is a possibility because I only started 2.5 months ago and the 3-month probationary period is almost over, which means my employer might decide to get rid of me. I am quite worried because being unemployed during an economic recession won't be easy, and even though I have enough passive income to cover my food expenses, I don't have enough passive income to put a roof over my head. If I do end up unemployed, I will have to continue living with my parents, which will be very shameful if I am unemployed because I'm sure no parent wants to be around unemployed adult children.

I think one of the worst parts about unemployment is the shame, which means that if I am to be unemployed, I would want to be in a position where I have the ability to hide myself from society. If I am able to isolate myself, there is no shame since feeling ashamed requires an audience.

No comments: