11 March 2007

Comparison: VE Calais v. Landcruiser

I am thinking of buying a VE Commodore Calais with a V8. It seems like a rather nice car but I'm yet to test drive it. My wife, however, thinks I should buy a Landcruiser or Prado because where we live there are quite a few city 4WDs around and being in a Landcruiser would give us greater chances of survival if we were to smash into a 4WD. She said that vehicles higher up were more likely to win in collisions and she showed me a video that proves this:

YouTube - Fifth Gear - When an SUV rams a smaller car

Not only is the Landcruiser more likely to win in collisions but it might even have better resale value. We sometimes go camping but not that much, so the car will mainly be for urban driving and my wife will drive it most of the time because I have a Camry. I've done a bit of research and you'd expect the Landcruiser 4WD to have much higher fuel consumption figures but in fact fuel consumption is roughly similar for the Landcruiser and V8 VE Calais (about 15L/100km).

No comments: