31 December 2006

Should I Make my Son do the Dishes?

Here's another email a received from a friend:
I have two children, my 7-year-old daughter Lily and my 5-year-old son Tom. One day before Christmas, we finished dinner and left the dishes stacked up at the kitchen sink. I decided to train my son Tom to clean the dishes, but just as I started my wife stopped me. My wife is Christian and because the bible states that women must serve men she therefore believes Tom cannot be exposed to dishwashing, which was, as she said, "a woman's job." Instead, my little girl Lily had to do the dishes, and she wasn't happy with that.

I don't mind if my wife does the dishes. The problem is that she almost never does them and expects Lily to do them. She doesn't even accept help from me or Tom.

One night I spoke to my wife. She told me that not only were these gender rules important for religion but they were also important for Tom's future. She claims that when Tom grows up he will never be able to get a girlfriend if he serves her.

Is this true? Is there evidence that women want this? I think it's fair to give children some chores to do but if these chores are going to make my son a female repellent then perhaps I should make him do something else.

If my wife is right in saying that females don't want men to serve them then to maximize my son's chances of success should I train him at an early age to become more aggressive and sexist towards females?

No comments: