26 January 2013

Less Work, More Holidays

Whenever I speak to people, I make no secret about the fact that I hate my job. It is not really the work that bothers me. Rather, it is the fact that I have to work for a boss. I have to report to a boss, update him on what I'm doing, and endure his speeches on how I should be doing my job. Because my dissatisfaction comes from being averse to being subjugated, I simply cannot go back to university and study a different course, as my father has suggested to me. I need to do something different. If I want to be my own boss, one option is to start my own business, but this option has its challenges. Will I have enough to money to start my own business? How much does it cost to run a business? What sort of tax and compliance processes do I need to follow, and are they burdensome?

The more I think about it, the more I realise that I probably need to start taking more holidays. Less than a month ago, I turned 29. I am almost thirty, almost sort of reaching the middle of my life, and I when I think back on my life, I realise that I really have not done much. I have been overseas but only twice. Most people go on a foreign vacation ever year. I have been reluctant to go on holidays because of the costs. I believed it was more sensible to save the money.

Given how stressful my job is, I believe it is best if I start taking holidays. It is not just my career where I am facing crisis. There is also chaos in my family life. Going to a different place and leaving your old life behind is a great way to clear the mind.

I will still continue to save money, mainly because I want to invest the money to make more money. One day I may be able to save up enough money to be able to be on holidays for, say, six-month periods at a time. When I come back to Australia, I can work part-time, and when I feel like it, I can just get back on the plane and get out. I am starting to realise that one of the greatest freedoms is the ability to just get out. I pity those who have committed too much into wage slavery, the people who have a mortgage, two children, and a car loan to fund. I have none of these, but pressure from friends and family to be normal is really starting to ramp up. It's as if all of society is trying to set a trap for me. I've reaches a point in my life where I need to make a fundamental decision about whether I want to embrace the culture of wage slavery or the culture of freedom. What is most cruel about life is that the price of freedom is a decade of wage slavery.

Too much holidaying can be unhealthy. I could get bored. I just don't know. I need to give myself the flexibility to move in and out of holiday mode and work mode.


No comments: