08 September 2012

Love and Sex Stimulate the Economy

In order to prevent mental pollution, I now watch YouTube videos on my television. This means I am in control of what I watch rather than being subject to the whims of whatever is on television. I have been doing this for a while now, and I have noticed that when watching YouTube videos I tend to watch documentaries.

Every now and then I go back to mainstream TV and catch a glimpse of the programs that are on television. I also have a subscription to Quickflix and have about two DVDs sent to me via mail every month. What I have noticed when I watch mainstream TV and films on DVD is that there is a lot of film, TV shows, and advertising that glamorises not just the "immoral" sexual desires but also a lot of media that glamorises "moral" sexual desires, that is, romantic love, e.g. dating, courtship, and marriage.

I am not popular with females. I am 28 now and have only been on short dates with two females. I am currently able to live on about $400 per fortnight, but when I was dating I noticed that my rate of spending doubled to about $800 per fortnight. There is a lot that you must pay for when you are dating. If you take things further, you may end up with a huge mortgage, wedding expenses, and then children.  The bottom line is that romantic love is expensive. Even sinful love, e.g. visiting prostitutes, is expensive and potentially dangerous.

My point is that the desires of love and sex create significant consumer demand in an economy, so much so that it would make sense for all the businesses that benefit from increase in consumer demand for love and sex, e.g. wedding organisers, brothels, flower shops, condom producers, and so forth, to pool their money into an organisation that gives grants to films and TV shows that promote or further glamorise love and sex.

No comments: