04 July 2010

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)

Yesterday I went to the cinemas with my mum to use up my Hoyts movie voucher, but unfortunately I forgot to bring the movie voucher with me and ended up having to spend cash on a movie. The movie, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, ended up being very good.

Because I went to the movies with my mum, I couldn't watch anything that was potentially embarrassing or inappropriate. Movies like Get Him to the Greek sounded too rude and I got the impression that it contained sex scenes. Prince of Persia turned out to be a perfect family movie. There was kissing and hugging but there were no outright sex scenes. The violence was clean, i.e. minimal blood and ungratuitous.

Downsides of Prince of Persia is that I think the editing seemed sloppy and there were just too many loud action scenes. Even something as simple as a person walking through a dungeon needs to have scenes involving ninja-like assasins jumping around and throwing knives. Often I felt like I needed a break from the loud action scenes and just listen to some simple dialogue.

The visual effects are stunning. Princess Tamina in the movie is incredibly beautiful, and we see a lot of her in the movie, so that's a thumbs up. When I was watching the movie, I had no idea who the actress was who played Princess Tamina--initially thinking it was Liv Tyler--but after googling the actress turned out to be Gemma Arterton.

Links:
Trailer - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

No comments: