16 May 2007

Auto Versus Manual Transmission

At http://www.missico.com/personal/thoughts/make_car_last.htm it says the following: "Manual transmissions cost less and are cheaper to maintain than automatics..."

However at http://groups.google.com.au/group/aus.cars/msg/6228780526a60c29 it says the following: "Transmission: get an auto. Unless you don't mind paying for clutch replacement and you can do this yourself, an auto will be cheaper to maintain in the long run."

So who is correct?

I am a second-hand car buyer. I never buy new cars because of their depreciation. Second-hand cars depreciate too but not by as much. My dad and my brother both tell me that a manual car is cheaper to maintain than an auto in the long run. My brother tells me that with an auto you must constantly change the transmission fluid and each time you do this you must pay a small amount. With a manual, there is no transmission fluid. However, because of this there is gear wear and your transmission needs to be replaced. He says the cost of replacing the manual transmission every, say, 200,000kms, is about $1000 while the cost of replacing the transmission fluid every, say, 20,000kms is about $200, so in the long run you're better off with a manual.

But this assumes that you buy a new car! If you buy a second-hand car just before the manual transmission is fully worn out, then you are in for a large repair bill. You would probably be better off with an auto. As I said, this issue is a grey area for me, and nobody seems to have given me any firm evidence about what is right. I hear one person saying one thing and another person saying the complete opposite.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard such nonsense for a long time. I've driven manual transmissions for 300,000 km and junked the car without paying any attention to the transmission or clutch, except for adjustment. I can adjust with a wrench or two, and never have to open it up. I don't even check the oil level. I replaced a clutch three times, and it wasn't needed any one of those times. It was wasted money and effort. If you know how to drive stick properly, you should never have to replace a clutch. THe only maintenance NEEDED with a manual is to check the clutch adjustment every couple of years--if you know how to drive it right.

But if you're willing to change the fluid and filter on schedule, modern automatics are (usually--depending on the make) reliable. I drive manuals because 40 years ago, automatics in small cars were junk. They've gotten much, much better since then. Drive the transmission you enjoy, auto or manual, because most are so reliable that you don't have to worry about this anymore. Maintain it according to the book.