17 April 2016

Thoughts While Attending a Wedding

I went to a beach wedding over the weekend. One of my relatives was getting married. I was told to wear beach formal, so I had brown chino pants and a floral shirt. However, everyone seemed to wear full formal suits, so I stood out. Anyway, it was a small wedding with only about twenty people there, so I didn't mind too much.

The bridegroom at this wedding was slightly awkward. He didn't really know how to do a lot of the wedding customs. When he was asked to dance with his wife during the reception, he didn't know how to dance. His speech was very risk averse. In fact, he spoke a lot like me. 

I kept wondering how I would be able to handle a wedding if I ever get married. I am shy with women, bad at dancing, and I am very risk averse with what I say.

Relatives and friends at the wedding kept asking me when I was getting married, probably suggesting that it was time for me to get married given I'm 32 now. When someone asks me when I'll get married, I always say, “I don't know. Maybe never.” I'm very cynical about marriage, and I'm not afraid to speak about it if anyone wishes to explore my thoughts in greater detail.

When I look at a wedding, I just see so much conformity, and the peer pressure and conformity just reminds me of high school. There's no reverence for freedom and doing what you want. The talk is always about following some set of rules made by someone. If you like someone, spend time with them. That's it. Why buy an engagement ring that costs $10,000? Why go through the whole wedding process? Why have a wedding cake? Why does the bride have to wear white? Why must there be a best man? The answer I suppose is just that that is the way it is. It is tradition or culture. There are all these costly and burdensome traditions, and what for? 

I suppose it is possible in theory to meet a girl who believes that marriage ceremonies and rings are a waste of time and money, but that still doesn't eliminate the risk of Family Court intervention in the event of divorce, and the Family Court can do whatever they want with your assets. There are just so many unknowns and so much risk. Anyway, I can go on about this all day, but the bottom line is I have no intention to marry, but that doesn't mean I don't want to get a girlfriend. I just feel like I should focus on working and investing now. Focus on girlfriends later.

Everyone at the wedding seemed to be in a couple except for one of the bride’s friends, a girl named Annie. She smiled at me a little, but I never really spoke to her. I Facebook stalked her a little after the wedding.

During the wedding reception, there were girls dancing a traditional Thai dance. One of the girls was beautiful. I kept staring at her. All this perving made me think about my dream of one day retiring in Thailand and getting a Thai girlfriend. Thai girls are just so beautiful. Vietnamese girls are nice as well.

No comments: